1. SUBSTRATE PREPARATION
Any successful epoxy floor application starts with the proper preparation of the substrate. A thorough check-up of the state of the substrate as well as the meticulous preparation are the prerequisites for a successful application of the covering system.
The substrate should be:
1. Free of any materials that impede adhesion (like dust, loose pieces, grease, oils or other rests).
2. Relatively dry (humidity <4%),
3. Stable, compact with a minimum requirement of mechanical strength.
– Measuring substrate humidity
If the substrate humidity is greater than 4%, adhesion of the primer layer may be problematic. The humidity is usually measured with an electronic hygrometer.
-Weather conditions check
1. The atmospheric and climatological conditions play a very important role when applying an epoxy floor. Unfavorable conditions may cause lower adhesion strength and insufficient polymerization of the system.
2. Check relative humidity, ambient, substrate and materials temperature during all application stages. The products should be stored in a cool and shady place.
3. Avoid drafts of air after the application so that the proper curing of the floor is achieved.
1. Scrub the surface using a grinding machine to roughen up the substrate.
2. Remove the dust with a high power industrial vacuum cleaner.
1. Holes, imperfections, cracks should be repaired before applying any kind of material.
2. Holes-cracks: Apply bonding latex to achieve maximum adhesion between old and new (repair) concrete and fill with repair mortar.
In detail :
–DOMORESIN SP bonding latex to improve adhesion of the repair mortar to the existing concrete.
–DOMOREPAIR R4 repair mortar to fill the widened cracks on the floor.
2. PRIMERING OF THE SUBSTRATE
– Apply DOMOPOX FLOOR PRIMER two-component epoxy primer n the clean and well prepared surface, so that optimal adhesion of the consequent epoxy layers is achieved.
– The two components are mixed with a low power agitator (2-3 min mixing time). Apply by roll. Application temperature, 10 – 30 °C.
CONSUMPTION: 100- 200 gr/m² depending on the nature of the substrate.
3. SELF – LEVELLING FLOOR APPLICATION (DOMOPOX FLOOR A+B+C)
– Components Α and Β are packed in pails with a predetermined mixing ratio (2,2 : 1 b.w.).
– Component B is added to component A. Mix with a low power agitator (300 rpm). Mixing time should be at least 5 min. Add component C to the blend of A and B and stir again until the final blend is completely homogeneous. Mixing ratio (Α+ Β) : C= 1 : 1,5 b.w.
– The ready mix should be used within 45 min at 20 °C.
– DOMOPOX FLOOR is applied with a notched spatula within 24h after primering. Expel the trapped air using a spiked roller in a crosswise fashion after 15 min.
CONSUMPTION: DOMOPOX FLOOR, 1, 7 kg/m²/mm.
4. FINAL LAYER
– It is recommended to apply the transparent aliphatic polyurethane SERITAL PT as a final layer to further strengthen the abrasion resistance and to achieve a glossy surface.
– For floors exposed to solar radiation, the use of SERITAL PT as a protective layer is mandatory.
– SERITAL PT can be also used as an anti-slip layer by adding special microscopic spheres.
– Apply by roll or brush.
CONSUMPTION: 60 gr/m²/layer
1. In case of particularly porous substrates, it is recommended to use DOMOPOX FLOOR PRIMER 50 in place of DOMOPOX FLOOR PRIMER.
2. When applying consecutive layers of DOMOPOX FLOOR, it is not necessary to apply primer anew when the next layer is applied within 48h after the previous one.